background

Saturday, June 30, 2012

A Funny Story

I was transcribing more of Helen's story today and came across a story that had me laughing right out loud. Here it is, completely unedited, for your enjoyment:


I always loved the water, though I had not yet learned to swim. Frank loved toy boats and always had two or three to sail on every occasion, but he was afraid of water and would not go in much above his knees. I think I was at least partly responsible. One day, when we were very small, Mother was visiting a friend over by Lake Winnipesaukee and I begged to get in the water. Now, Winnipesaukee has very steep banks; almost no beaches anywhere. Large rocks and only about two steps in deep water. Best I could do was stand on a submerged rock and get cool. When Frank came over and tried to get where I was, he had some trouble. Mother called out to me, “Help the baby down there.” I misunderstood, and thought she said, “Help the baby under,” so I did. I put him in and held him down. She screamed and came to his rescue, shoes and all, and carried him back to safety. He really never quite got over it.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! That is hilarious!! She was quite the character wasn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah, that would do it. I'd be afraid of the water after that, too! :)

    ReplyDelete