background

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Finding Helen's Family

I am in the process of trying to find Helen's surviving family. The only information I have to go by is her obituary, which lists next of kin. The obituary is from 1998. I did a Google search to find an address for her daughter. I sent a letter. I hope I hear back. I would love to include pictures in this book, and hope her family will also have an interest in helping with printing costs.

Helen's story is fascinating. It has all the drama, flavor and history of memoirs like "The Glass Palace" or "A Tree Grows in Boston." My biggest challenge will be editing--deciding what to leave in, what to take out, and how many books to make out of the story. I am on the 6th tape and already have typed over 37,000 words. Bear in mind that a typical young adult novel runs about 68,000 to 70,000 words.

1 comment:

  1. What fun research to write about personal stories. Good luck getting your info and happy writing.

    ReplyDelete